Apply for utility assistance and keep your monthly bills affordable.
Follow the steps below to apply for the Michigan Energy Assistance Program (MEAP). Applications can be submitted in person or online.
NOTE: If you’ve already applied for utility assistance through the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services State Emergency Relief application and would like to additionally apply for affordable payment plans, including DTE Energy’s LSP program, Consumer’s Energy’s CARE program and Semco Energy Gas Company’s Monthly Assistance Program (MAP), please click here.
Enter your information below to join our email list and receive periodic updates on several United Way resources.
1. Utility bill account number and mailing address as shown on monthly bill
2. Date and amount of previous energy assistance received within the last 12 months
3. Social Security number plus identity verification (driver’s license, state ID, etc.) and date of birth for each household member;
4. Pay amount and employer’s name for each employed member of the household
5. Amount of unearned income received by each member of the household (Social Security benefits, pension/retirement benefits, veteran’s benefits, military allotments, DHS FIP cash assistance, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Workers’ Compensation, child support, etc.)
6. Monthly and annual income last year for each self-employed person
7. Bank account statements
8. Vehicle registration
For more information, call 1-844-211-4994 (9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday) toll free.
Choose United Way for Southeastern Michigan as your referral provider, using referral provider number 216993-004, to access additional support services, such as LSP, budget coaching and other resources.
To qualify for State Emergency Relief, you must meet a number of requirements. In general, eligibility is based on the number of individuals in your household, your monthly income and your countable cash assets over $50. Some assets such as homestead, one vehicle, personal and household goods are excluded.Apply online
7375 Woodward Ave.
10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays
15491 Maddelein St.
11 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays
27260 Plymouth Road, Redford Charter
Open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. every other Friday (Jan. 17, Jan. 31, Feb. 14, Feb. 28)
46156 Woodward Ave., Pontiac
Open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Tuesdays