5 ways to give back during the holiday season
The holiday season is a great time for giving—and not just gifts to your friends and family. Studies show that giving back is good for your physical and mental health. And volunteering, advocating or donating to causes you care about in your community is a great way to head into a new year in good spirits.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Help a family have a happy holiday. Several United Way partners offer “adopt a family” opportunities for the holidays, including Oakland Family Services, HAVEN, Jewish Family Services, CARE House of Oakland County and Hope Clinic. Connect with a partner to be linked with a family in need.
- Make volunteering a family affair. The holidays are a great time to teach your children about the joy of giving to others. Take your kids along with you to deliver holiday meals to seniors with Focus: HOPE, or sign up to help out at the Detroit Zoo’s fun Wild Lights program.
- Spread holiday cheer online. You never know who of your Facebook friends is going through a hard time. Reach out to an old friend, or share United Way resources through your social media – like our 2-1-1 service. Our representatives answer phones and live chat 24/7/365 and connect families in need to resources.
- Make a resolution to give back. We get it—December is a busy month. Look ahead to 2018 and make volunteering a New Year’s resolution you’ll actually keep by signing up to our volunteer portal. We’ll email you with volunteer opportunities that match your interests and skills!
- Donate in honor of someone you love. How would you like to give someone double or triple the gift this holiday season? All donations made to United Way for Southeastern Michigan through Dec. 31 will be matched by our partner AAA, The Auto Club Group. The more you give, the bigger the match.
Find more holiday volunteering opportunities through our volunteer portal at UnitedWaySEM.org/Volunteer.