You qualify for the Child Tax Credit
, if you meet these three criteria:
• You are a parent, guardian or caregiver with dependent children up to age 17.
• Your child has a Social Security Number. You can file with an ITIN (Individual Tax Identification Number), but your child must have a Social Security Number.
• You fall below the following income limits to receive the full benefit.
If you are single and meet the requirements for filing taxes as a head of household, your income must be under $112,500. If you are single and do not meet the requirements for filing as head of household, your income must be under $75,000. If you have a spouse and choose to file your taxes
jointly, your combined income must be under $150,000. If your household income is above those thresholds, you will receive slightly smaller payments, depending on income.
You have to file taxes to claim the credit. You can file for free online
or make an in-person or no-contact appointment
to get assistance. You will need:
• Documentation on your income, such as a W2, 1099, Social Security statement, etc.
• Social Security Number and birthdates of minor children
• Driver’s license or picture ID
If you are filing online, you just need to be able to include this information on the form. If you schedule an appointment for help, you will need to bring the documents with you to your meeting.